Admissions to school
By 28 February each year, we must set out on the school’s website a timetable for organising and hearing appeals.
- include a deadline for lodging appeals, which allows appellants at least 20 school days from the date of notification that their application was unsuccessful, in order to prepare and submit their written appeal
- ensure that appellants receive written notification of the date and arrangements of their hearing, at least 10 school days before the hearing
- include reasonable deadlines for appellants to submit additional evidence not submitted with the initial appeal, for admission authorities to submit their evidence, and for the clerk to send the appeal papers to the panel and parties
- ensure that the panel clerk sends out the decision letters within 5 school days of the hearing wherever possible
We will ensure that the panel hears appeals submitted on time within the following timescales:
- for applications made in the normal admissions round, appeals must be heard within 40 school days from the deadline for lodging appeals
- for late applications, appeals should be heard within 40 schools days from the deadline for lodging appeals where possible, or within 30 school days of the appeal being submitted
- for in-year application appeals, the panel must hear appeals within 30 school days of them being submitted
Changes to the admission appeals regulations during the coronavirus outbreak - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk), a reminder of the temporary changes is below:-
· Face to face hearings should not take place until the guidance on social distancing indicate it is safe to do so.
· The changes enable remote appeal hearings to take place, and where this is not possible, hearings based on written submissions
· Appeals should be lodged as soon as possible and determined in line with the temporary timescales contained within the temporary regulations (please check the guidance/regs for full details)-:-
o deadline for lodging an appeal at least 28 days from decision,
o 14 days written notice to be given to appellant of an appeal hearing,
o new or revised reasonable deadlines may be set for submission of evidence,
o decision letters within 7 days of hearings.